Career Investigations Syllabus
Career Investigations Course Outline and Syllabus
Instructor: Ms. Chapman
Phone: 281-830-3300 ext 3096
Tutorials: Wednesday Mornings from 7:30am – 8:30am
Career Investigations is a course, required for all 8th grade students that will allow the student to evaluate career opportunities and choices. This course will help the student develop an understanding of their personal interests, aptitude, and abilities, while setting career goals and establishing an action plan to reach those goals.
In this class, students will create their four year plan for high school as well as explore, present, and evaluate a large variety of career and post-secondary options through research, guest speakers, textbooks, and field trips. In addition,
Students will learn basic business skills and professionalism dos and don’ts.
- Be on time.
- Be prepared for class.
- No food, drinks, gum, or cell phones.
- Be responsible for your own learning.
- Respect classmates.
- Use appropriate language at all times.
- 1st Offense – Warning
- 2nd Offense – Parent/Guardian contact
- 3rd Offense – Referral
Beginning of Class
- Wait to be greeted before entering the classroom.
- Quietly and without talking, take out needed supplies and sit in your assigned seat.
- Begin your bell work immediately and silently.
- Raise your hand to leave your seat or speak during class.
- You will not be allowed to go to the restroom during the first 10 or last 10 minutes of class, a school wide rule.
- Put your name, date, and class period on all work.
- All members of the class will work together as a team insuring a positive successful learning environment.
End of Class
- Log off your computers before leaving the room.
- Before you are dismissed, please make sure the area around your desk is clean.
- The teacher will dismiss students, NOT the bell.
If you are tardy:
- You are late if you are not inside the classroom when the bell rings.
- Go to AP office to receive a tardy pass.
- Enter very quietly so you don’t interrupt the lesson.
- Place your pass on my desk and join the class activities.
- If you need to talk to me, see me after class or at an appropriate time.
If you are absent:
- Missed work and assignments can be found in the designated area marked WHILE YOU WERE OUT.
- It is your responsibility to get the work and complete any work that you have missed.
- You have one day for each day you were absent to make up your assignments.
- If you missed a test, you will take the test the day you return.
- If you know ahead of time that you will be absent, please let me know, so I can give you the work you will miss.
A 90% - 100% B 80 – 89% C 70 – 79% D 60 – 69% F 0 – 59%
Grading Guidelines: The following are the district’s approved grading guidelines.
50% Daily Grades (minimum of 2 per week)
35% Major Grades
15% 9 Weeks CBA
KEEP YOUR COPY OF THE CLASSROOM PROCEDURES.
Fall Semester Syllabus
# OF DAYS
Classroom Expectations & Google
8/16/17 – 8/18/17
8/21/17 – 9/1/17
9/8/17 – 9/22/17
Choosing a Career
9/25/17 – 10/13/17
10/16/17 – 11/17/17
11/27/17 – 12/22/17