Welcome to 6th grade and your Social Studies class. This is your syllabus for the year. This must be kept in your binder at all times. This syllabus is subject to change at any time during the year and you will be responsible for making the changes accordingly.
Every day supplies
- Pencils (preferably # 2) and Erasers
- Pens (Black or Blue only)
Rules and Procedures
Aside from following the school policies, you are expected to follow the classroom rules and procedures. Failure to follow the rules and procedures can result in poor conduct grades, poor class grades and loss of rewards for yourself and your classmates. A copy of the Rules and Consequences is attached. Class procedures are also expected to be followed, even though they may not be written. As instances for the procedures arise, they will be explained to you. Following the Rules and Procedures can result in rewards.
Throughout the year, those who have excelled in class will be rewarded. There will be rewards for the entire class and for individuals. Rewards can be for perfect attendance, good grades, good attitudes, outstanding performances, improvement, and other types of good behavior. Types of rewards will include “visitation time”, bonus points, and homework passes. This will be discussed in more detail later.
Daily Grades 50% (Warm-ups, Notes, Assignments, Homework & Vocabulary)
Assessments 35% (Tests, Quizzes, & Projects)
Six-Weeks Exams 15% (Benchmarks)
Since the lessons will be from a variety of sources, including a textbook, a textbook will be required. A textbook will be available for check-out in the library.
Warm-ups are given at the beginning of each class and must be completed in the first 10 minutes of class. They are worth 100 points and will be graded every Friday.
Assignments will be given daily and must be done in pen or pencil ONLY. All work must be shown and you should be able to explain your answers. Homework is any work that was not completed during class time. Your work should be done in a neat and orderly fashion.
Assignments can be made up if the student has missed a class/lecture. It is the student’s responsibility to pick up the assignment. The assignment will be placed in a designated area. The student has one day for each day absent to turn in any make-up work. (Exceptions may be considered for students that are absent for prolonged periods of time.) Students will have the opportunity to make up or redo a class assignment which student failed for up to a 70 percent.
Late Work Policy
Missing homework or assignments are NOT acceptable. If an assignment or homework isn’t completed, a phone call will be made and the grade drops 10 points. If the work is not turned in the following day, a mandatory tutorial will be issued.
Tests will be given approximately every 2-3 weeks. These tests will worth 100 points each. All tests are to be done in pencil. During the test, you must follow the proper procedure – no talking, eyes on your own paper, no passing notes, etc. Failure to follow testing procedures may result in a “0” and a referral (No Exceptions).
Any student who receives a failing grade on a test may take a re-test, providing the failed test is taken home and signed by a parent and a tutorial session is attended. The highest grade given on a re-test will be of a 70.
Tutorials will vary on coaching scheduling 8:00 to 8:30 in the morning and 4:15 to 5:00 in the afternoon. Times will be available for the students upon request.
Please sign below. Also please have a parent/guardian read the syllabus and sign below.
Student Signature Date
Parent/Guardian Signature Date
Rules and Procedures
- All school rules must be followed. (Including ID & Tardy)
- Be on time, every day.
- Be prepared. Bring all required materials to class every day.
- Be respectful to everyone. (Students and the Teacher)
- Phones and other electronic devices must be turned off or on silent. - Students will get one warning before it is taken up by the teacher.
- No sleeping. - If you sleep you may be asked to stand the rest of the period or sent to your AP.
- NO FOOD/DRINKS in the class. Water only.
- ACCEPT FULL RESPONSIBILTY FOR YOUR ACTIONS. DON’T MAKE EXCUSES!!!!
- Enter and exit the room quietly.
- Stay in your seats, unless instructed otherwise, including the dismissal bells. (The Teacher dismisses you, not the bell.)
- Actively participate in discussions, activities, lectures, group work, etc. (Use appropriate language, Raise Hand, etc)
- TURN ASSIGNMENTS ON TIME!!!
- According to CVISD Guidelines:
* Private Teacher/Student discussion
* Call to Parents
* Discipline referral sent to Assistant Principal’s office
- Teacher may assign private detentions on an as needed basis for discipline issues or missing work.
- Skipping or missing a detention will result in a referral.
How do I get my device?
Sit down and wait until your teacher calls your number (1-5, 6-10, etc.)
When do I get my device?
When my teacher calls my number
What do I do when I get my device?
Take it to your seat, log in, and wait for instructions
How do I put my device away?
When your teacher calls your number (1-5, 6-10, etc.)
Who plugs in my device?
Teacher or designated student assigned by your teacher
What else can I have on my desk?
Supplies needed to complete the assignment
Where can I have my device?
Only on your desk (not in your lap or on the floor)
Where can my phone be?
Turned off and put away at all times
When can I use my earbuds?
As your teacher allows
How do I clean my device?
Microfiber cloth for screen, antibacterial wipes for the keyboard
Can I eat and drink when I have my chromebook?
My chromebook isn’t charged.
If there is an extra device, start at #30 and sign it out on the log. If there are not any extras, pair up with your table partner.
My chromebook isn’t working.
Notify your teacher immediately.
What if I am off task, on an inappropriate site, or do anything to damage the device?
1. Call home 2. Referral 3. Lose privileges
I hope you had a wonderful summer, I know I did and now I am ready to get started on a wonderful new school year. I have plenty of activities planned for your student however they do involve your child having supplies but I will try to keep the list to a minimum. I will need for all students to have all supplies by Monday August 27, 2018.
Again I look forward to a wonderful year with your child. Below is the list of school supplies for my class.
1 inch 3 ring binder (the plastic poly kind) 1st period is blue, 3rd period is green, 4th period is black, 5th period is red, and 6th period is grey.
- 2 pks of #2 pencils (mandatory)
- Head phones/Ear Buds for Chromebooks (Mandatory)
- 1 pkg of map pencils (mandatory)
- 1 bottle of germ (extra credit)
- 1 box Kleenex (extra credit if a student brings 2 boxes)
- 1 pkg black or blue pens only
- 4-5 glue sticks (mandatory) we use glue a lot
- Highlighters any color (mandatory) we take a lot of notes and we will be highlighting the notes as we go
- Colored construction paper
Please know that my classes are fun but it depends on the effort that we put in together and supplies are an essential part of success for each student. Please let me know if you need more time to get the required supplies