It is important to ensure you are protecting yourself anytime you are online, which includes gaming.
Due to the anonymity of gaming, many times people are playing with strangers. This increases the potential of unintended risk factors.
The risks include:
- giving away personal information
- downloading 'cheats' which might actually be a virus
- illegal downloads
- becoming addicted
Tips for safe gaming:
- ensure your antivirus software is updated and the firewall is running
- play only authorized versions of games
- use strong passwords
- don't reveal personal information (directly or indirectly via your username)
- remove all personal information before selling or giving away your device
- read the terms and conditions to know what you are agreeing to
- report abuse/crimes
- be aware of the games your student is playing and the potential risks within that game